Balmashanner War Memorial
12-13 September 2020
The monument on Balmashanner Hill, known locally as “Bummie”, was built in 1920/1. A plaque above the entrance reads ‘Their name liveth for evermore. Erected in Memory of the men of Forfar and District who fell in the Great War 1914-18’. There’s also a roll call plaque on the wall inside. The building was dedicated by Queen Mary on the 11th September, 1921 and comprises a square tower, with battlements and turret, built from local sandstone. It is a listed building, designed by T R Soutar, architect and constructed by Alexander Adamson and David Stewart.
On a clear day there are excellent views over Forfar, surrounding farmland, and the Valley of Strathmore to the Braes of Angus beyond. Nearby stands an indicator which gives the names and heights of the nearby hills and mountains.