St Mary's Episcopal Church
11 September 2021
The 5th Duke of Buccleuch commissioned architects William Burns and David Bryce to build St Mary's as a private chapel for Dalkeith House and Estate. Designed in the Early English style, it opened in 1845. In 1890 a further side chapel, the Buccleuch Aisle, was added by the 6th Duke with a burial vault for the Buccleuch family beneath it. The Church has 4 significant features: the magnificent stained glass windows with a triple-light window at the front, and a rose window at the back, which were made in France, heraldic Minton Floor Tiles bearing the crests of the various families linked to the Buccleuch's, a superb example of a double hammer-head beam roof and a fan vaulted chancel; the last continuously working water powered organ in the country which was built by the renowned organ builder, William Hamilton of Edinburgh.