Dunlop Kirk, Ayrshire

In the graveyard next to Dunlop Kirk stands the Clandeboyes tomb. This ‘A’ listed edifice and the original school building next to it were erected in 1641 by James Hamilton, Viscount Clandeboyes, in memory of his father, Hans Hamilton, pastor of the Kirk for 45 years, and his mother Janet Denholm. Hamilton played a major role in the settlement of Scots in Ireland in the early 1600s and the school and tomb are of great significance to the Ulster Scots community today.

Watch the virtual tour here.