14 September 2019 (Tour starts at 14:30)
As part of Doors Open Day, Mark Douglas, the council's Team Leader for Heritage & Design will lead a walk around the town centre to view the works of Hawick's most prominent and prolific architect; James Pearson Alison (1862-1932).
Alison set up business in Hawick in 1887 or 1888 at 19 North Bridge Street which probably initially served as both office and house. In the latter year he was asked by Patrick Laing to design a substantial villa and commissions thereafter followed swiftly as his reputation grew among the local gentry and manufacturers. His office was at 'The Studio' at 45 North Bridge Street which he designed in 1900 and his residence being 'Ladylaw' in Hawick. He was also a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland and a member of the Hawick Callants Club.
Outwith Hawick, his numerous projects including Port House and the Public Hall in Jedburgh, the War Memorial in Denholm and the former Police Station in Kelso. In the centre of Hawick, The Border Club, the former Unionist Club (now The Bourtree) and the Savings Bank on the High Street are all examples of his work His practice continued after his death under the existing title of J P Alison & Hobkirk. In 1936 J Murray Aitken was taken into partnership, becoming sole partner in 1955. The firm of Aitken & Turnbull is the successor of this practice
This walk is generally flat and on footways/paths
The tour is FREE and no booking is required but numbers will be restricted to 30 visitors to avoid congestion.