31 August 2019 (11 am to 3 pm)
The Tobacco Warehouse was built in the late 19th century. This historic five-storey building, which is located on the corner of Clarence, Hood and Haig Streets, dates back to 1896. It is a large 5-storey building built of red brick with contrasting yellow brick dressings. The B-Listed bonded store, although known as a tobacco warehouse, was also used for the storage of whisky and was built by Greenock whisky distillers and blenders R Thorne & Sons Ltd. The building was also used as accommodation for American soldiers during World War Two. There is World War Two GI graffiti, the soldiers have written their names on the window frames.
The ground floor is a converted workshop and office space for RIG Arts.
There will be James Watt themed activities for all children in the studio. This is a free activity and will encourage children to take part in arts and crafts while learning about the inspirational inventor.