Back to List

Nigg Old Church

Door open days

7 September 2019 (10am to 5pm)

8 September 2019 (10am to 5pm)

Highland - Black Isle, Ross & Cromarty

This historic site has origins dating back to c1296 when Nigg church ran East to West. During the Reformation of 1560 the altar was removed and a central pulpit added. Rebuilt in 1626 with the addition of a north aisle, and later in 1729 with the further addition of three lofts (galleries). Nigg Old Church is a fine example of a post Reformation T - shaped Scottish Parish Church. The richly carved Nigg Cross Slab is housed at the west end of the church. Above the Cross Slab is the poor loft, which, partitioned off in 1853, is now accessible to visitors. The church was the starting point for the religious revival which began in 1739 and was to influence much of the north of Scotland.

Nigg Old Church is enjoyed today by visitors from all over the world as a calm and special place and on Christmas Eve, filled with local families singing carols at the atmospheric candlelight service.


Key Information

Building Date: Rebuilt 1626

  • Nigg Old Church
  • Tain
  • IV19 1QR