16 September 2018 (Sun 10am-4pm)
16 September 2018
Founded in 1867, Glasgow Art Club has occupied two handsome Georgian terrace houses in Bath Street since 1893. The jewel in its handsome Victorian interior is the gallery, largely designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
Recent extensive refurbishment with substantial financial aid from Heritage Lottery Fund and Historic Scotland with generous contributions from private donors, has resulted in restoration of the Gallery to its original Victorian splendour.
Much careful research went into establishing the original designs and colours used by Mackintosh for his frieze which has been painstakingly recreated. The fixtures and furnishings which he claimed as his work by publishing an illustration of them in June 1893 in the Bailie, a magazine of the day, have all been restored to their original state. The result is a breath-taking room which gives a vivid impression of the early stages of his developing creative genius.
The original billiard room on the first floor has been converted into a light, airy space which is used for smaller exhibitions and for social events and gatherings. The remainder of the building has also been repaired and redecorated and much of the original furniture has been restored. The exterior of the building has been cleaned and the stonework restored.
Parking: On street parking available, charges apply, free on Sundays
Accessibility: Short stair to door and ground floor. No lift. First and second floors only accessible by stairs.
Architect: J. Baird; John Keppie & Charles Rennie Mackintosh
Building Date: 1834; 1893
Doors Open Day 2018:
Painting demonstrations from artist members of the Club will take place throughout the day.