16 September 2017 (12.00-4.00pm)
Designed by William Black of Messrs A. & W. Black, architects, Falkirk, the Erskine Church was built in 1905. It is in the Gothic style of architecture of the Perpendicular period, with a square tower at the south-west corner some 90 ft tall. The south gable presents a five light tracery window and twin doors to the street, approached by an imposing broad flight of steps.
The church is cruciform in plan, with nave, aisles, chancel and two shallow transepts. There are galleries over the end of the nave and each of the transepts. A creamy sandstone from Eastfield Quarry was used.
Internally the bases of the pillars are of freestone but the walls and ceiling have been finished with lathe and plaster. Behind the church and communicating with it is a hall to accommodate 200 people, a smaller hall, vestry, session room, ladies room, waiting room, kitchen and offices. The total cost of the building was put at £9248.
The building ceased functioning as a church in 2014 and is used as community halls. It now provides a great venue for functions.
Courtesy of The Erskine Community Halls.
Building Date: 1905