15 September 2018 (10am - 4.30pm)
16 September 2018 (12.30 - 4.30pm)
Designed by R Rowand Anderson in a relatively plain Gothic style and completed in 1864, the exterior of this church belies the homely extravagance of the polychrome interior. It is lined with yellow-brown glazed bricks with red bands three bricks deep. The window arches and chamfered sills are also red and the chancel has square moulded tiles. A panelled oak dado extends round the whole interior. The nave has an open scissor truss roof; whilst the ceiling of the chancel is painted pale blue with stencilled stars. The chancel arch springs from attached pillars that stand on carved corbels with naturalistic foliage. Within the arch is set a wrought iron screen, made in 1897 by the Carron Company. It was heavily pruned in the 1960s and the cross that surmounted it was suspended from the arch.
In the Lady Chapel there is a wooden altar dedicated to those of the congregation who fell in the First World War, with front panels painted with scenes from the life of Christ. Hinged side panels have been added with the names of those who died in the Second World War. This was the first war memorial to be erected in Falkirk. Stained glass colours the light streaming in through the windows.
Architect: R Rowand Anderson
Building Date: 1864
Open courtesy of Christ Church.
Wheelchair access to the nave & aisle. Parking in the town centre.