Search
Search
Back to List

Carriden Parish Church

Door open days

12 September 2020

13 September 2020

Falkirk

Designed by P Macgregor Chalmers and opened in 1909 this building is a prominent land and seamark.  Its simple Romanesque style features a tall tower capped by a pyramidal spire and with a recessed entrance doorway set in an ornate arch at its foot. 

The session house, which forms the south "transept", has a Baronial turret attached to it.  Internally there is rich ornamentation with many stained glass windows and an apsidal baptistery with a mosaic floor and painted half domed ceiling entered under a chevroned arch.  The plain massive columns of the six-bay nave with its half-rounded timber ceiling dominate.  This famous pitch pine barrel-roof was the work of Turnbulls of Bonhard.  The stone for the church was brought by horse from Deanfield Quarry and the whole operation cost £6,500.

Digital Resources

Beautiful church interiors

Have a look at photos of the interior of the church.

view the interior of the church

Key Information

Architect: P. Macgregor Chalmers

Building Date: 1908-09

Address
  • Carriden Brae
  • Carriden
  • near Bo'ness
  • EH51 9SL