14 September 2019 (10:00-17:00)
15 September 2019 (10:00-17:00)
An excellent example of 1920s red sandstone construction, the Masonic Temple of Lodge Union and Crown No.307 stands not just as an icon of town history, but also as a meeting place for masonic bodies and community groups alike.
Lodge Union and Crown 307 will be 200 years old in 2024. It had three meeting places in Barrhead before building the present temple in 1910. The lounges downstairs were formed in 1980 while the function suite was built in 1994. The temple itself is arguably the grandest building in Barrhead. Many of the old street in Barrhead are named after the Lodge's members, for example Glen Street, Heys Street, John Street and Henry Street. The Cowan Park was also donated to the town by the brothers James and Lochlan Conan, founding members of the Lodge.
Open to the public for exploration.
Detailed access information: There is a ramped entrance to the rear of the building, but to access the top floor, there are two stairs to be navigated.