5 September 2020 (Virtual Opening All Day)
6 September 2020 (Virtual Opening All Day)
Built as a Georgian townhouse, for and named after Peter Johnstone of Harthope Farm. His Trustees let Harthope Temperance House. During the Temperance era, it is rumoured that the Black Bull passed alcohol to residents down the chimneys. Front windows altered in 19th Century, when strengthening beams were introduced.
The Museum was created in 1982-4. Entered from a pend at the rear of the Bank of Scotland building, a new First Floor was added in 1983.
In 2013 the Museum was extended into an adjoining building increasing the exhibition area and giving an entrance directly from the pavement of Churchgate.
The generosity of an Australian benefactor, John Moffitt, and funding secured from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Clyde Wind Farm, Foundation Scotland and generous fundraising within the community made this possible. The official re-opening of the Museum by Dr. Alison Sheridan, Curator of Pre-history at the National Museum of Scotland, took place on August 10th 2013 with the symbolic shooting by Graeme Campbell of a replica of the Neolithic longbow known as The Rotten Bottom Bow.
Building Date: c. 1817