5 September 2020 (Virtual Opening All Day)
6 September 2020 (Virtual Opening All Day)
The recently renovated Castle of St John is an early 17th century tower house. It was built by the Adairs of Kilhilt, one of the most powerful families in late medieval Wigtownshire and used by lairds in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Over the years it has been a family home, a courthouse and a military garrison. In 1820 it was converted to the town jail. The view from the roof – the prison exercise yard – takes in the whole of Loch Ryan.
Building Date: 1510