5 September 2020 (Virtual Opening All Day)
6 September 2020 (Virtual Opening All Day)
A harled, T-plan Kirk, the body built around 1750 with the north aisle added in 1833 by William McCandlish. The west gable has a pyramid-topped bellcote. The windows were given their present round-headed appearance in 1886. The interior is remarkable for the timber roof, with the diagonal trusses meeting in a central pendant. The stained glass west window depicting Christ the Lord of All is dated 1928 and is by Gordon Webster. The graveyard has an early 18th-century table-stone commemorating the Covenanting martyr Robert Grierson. Statue and plaque in churchyard commemorate Sir Walter Scott’s ‘Old Mortality’, who came from Balmaclellan. Crimean war memorial in churchyard – earliest civic war memorial in Scotland.
Architect: Balmaclellan Church
Building Date: 1750/1833