Back to List

Beith: Auld Kirk and Kirkyard

11 September 2021 (10am - 4pm)

12 September 2021 (2pm - 4pm)


On site of original parish church. A church was built c.1590 with later 18th century extensions. The 1590 church was demolished in 1810-11 when a new church was built up the hill. Part of the 18th century extensions and belfry were retained with the burial ground, which contains some original gravestones. Plaque marks links with Rev John Witherspoon, a signatory to the US Declaration of Independence and parish minister in 1745-57. 

Footprint of original church marked. Enjoy an exhibition of old photographs of the area.

Key Information

Building Date: 1590

Image (c)

  • Beith Cross in town centre.
  • 200 yards north from Townhouse.
  • Beith
  • KA15 1DT