14 September 2019 (10am - 4.00pm)
15 September 2019 (10am - 4.00pm)
The Category B listed former Parish of Forgue Kirk stands in the old Kirkyard on a hill overlooking the Forgue Burn. The Kirk was built in 1819 on the site of a much older kirk - by legend, founded by St. Margaret of Scotland in 1070. It was designed by Archibald Simpson the renowned Aberdeen and Scotland architect and has a south wall inspired by Albertis Tempio Malatestiano church in Rimini (Italy). The windowless north wall was designed to keep the devil out. It retains its painted ceiling and a fine Conacher organ of 1875. The present building has a south elevation which echoes Hawkesmoore's Christ Church, Spitalfields, London. Internally the seating and pulpit area all date from 1926 when the space was redesigned without gallerys and the organ was moved to the south corner. The Old Kirk is now a community building with an active programme of events for the people of Forgue.
The opening times for the Church are from 10am until 5pm.
Building Date: 1819