19 September 2020
20 September 2020
Built on the site of a Carmelite burial ground this “Gothick” structure houses the remains of the first five Earls (starting in 1705) and other Duff family members, with several interesting memorials. Outside is a tomb that used to be in Banff cemetery and was falsely used by the 2nd Earl to claim a family connection to Robert the Bruce – with an interesting linked story involving the Carmelite monks from the nearby “Mount Carmel” (also worth a visit, a further 300m along the track).
The mausoleum occupies an extremely peaceful and picturesque location above the River Deveron, so much so that it has been used for weddings. – It also contains several excellent examples of quite early Coade stone, an 18th century artificial stone that can weather extremely well – even here after more than 200 years in what is perhaps the most northerly example.
For any future visits please note that:
Disabled access - Partial - Outside - yes for wheelchairs; Inside - 3 steps to access but then flat.
Disabled Toilets - either at Duff House itself or with radar key near the rugby pitches, both passed about 1 mile before on the way to the Mausoleum.
Toilets - either at Duff House itself or near rugby pitches, both passed about 1 mile on the way to the Mausoleum.
Parking - near Duff House with about a mile walk. Disabled parking for 2 cars adjacent to the Mausoleum.
A four minute video giving a summary about the Duff House Mausoleum with a voiceover by His Grace the Duke of Fife.
The outside can be seen at any time, about a three quarters of a mile from Duff House itself. The walk is along a track or a parallel footpath through "Wrack Woods", part of the original landscape of the Duff House estate. Access to the inside is possible only during guided tours from Duff House or during Doors Open Days.
Friends of Duff House Web pageImmerse yourself in the history of Duff House
Duff House Mausoleum printable leafletDownloadable Information Leaflet
A map and information leaflet for Duff House and park.Downloadable leaflet
Building Date: 1792