15 September 2019 (11.00am - 4.00pm)
Downie's Cottage was built in the middle of the 19th century by John Downie who tenanted the small croft and supplemented his income as a mountain guide to Victorian gentry. The tiny cottage continued to be occupied by some of his children until the 1930's when t was abandoned. the property lay largely undisturbed apart from inquisitive visitors until it was acquired in 2006 with the benefit of planning permission for it's demolition.
The new owners were concerned that the property was too 'special' to demolish in that the original heather thatch roof (under corrugated iron that had saved the building from deterioration; box beds; timber hingin lum and other features remained. Advice was taken from Historic Scotland and the result was the property being awarded Category A status (building of national importance) and the owners undertook it's restoration with the work being completed in 2017.
The building now benefits from the comforts of modern living; however, all historic features have been restored and modern elements are very discreetly hidden away.
The key features such as the timber hingin lum and box beds remain and the attic retains it's lining of colour prints and newspapers dating from the late 1800's and the start of the 20th century.
the property has been featured in various magazine articles and was a finalist in both the green Energy Awards and the RCIS awards.
Building Date: c.1850