Back to List

Ballater Masonic Lodge

Door open days

14 September 2019 (11am - 4pm)

15 September 2019 (11am - 4pm)


Category C Listed, the Lodge was purpose built in 1896 by local builders William Duguid and Son. Ballater Masonic Lodge is a distinctive building with its fine detail apparent in the unusual 2-stage tower. It proves an unusual aspect in the streetscape within surrounding Victorian villas and sitting next to the Victoria Barracks. It is particularly distinguished by the finely decorated Royal Arch Chapter vault which is, with the exception of Aberdeen, the only vault of its kind in the North-East. The paintings within the vault were completed after WWII, in 1948, by a Mr Davidson, from designs by John Maitland. They represent scenes from the Masonic stories of the Royal Arch. This building replaced the earlier Masonic Lodge of Ballater which had been in Church Square. William Duguid and Sons were local builders who also built the Albert Memorial and Victoria Halls and other local houses. Visitors will be able to enter the Main Hall, view photographs and browse through membership records, minute books all going back over 100 years. Masonic Jewels will also be on display.



Key Information

Architect: William Duguid & Son

Building Date: 1896

There will be a short talk about the Lodge and its history at 12pm on both days. ?

Where to find us

  • 19 & 20 Queen's Road
  • Ballater
  • AB35 5NJ