Search
Search

Places

West Dunbartonshire's Doors Open Days weekend is 19th and 20th September. 

And don't forget to leave us feedback on your experiences by completing our visitor survey.  You could even win a prize!

West Dunbartonshire

St Augustine's Episcopal Church

Dumbarton. How to get there : High Street, corner Church Street. Dedicated to St Augustine of Hippo. 1871-73. Architect : Sir Robert Rowand Anderson. A beautiful interior with some great stained glass.Built in 1873 to the designs of architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson in the Gothic Revival Style. The interior is said to be among Anderson's finest. Stained glass at baptismal font is by Stephen Adam with others to designs by Carl Alnquist. The organ was designed and built for the church by Smith and Brock. Some woodcarvings such as the angels on the pews are worth a look. Total restoration of building in 2003. A parsonage and hall by A. C. Denny are now demolished, but a modern timber clad building was added.Scotland's great Art Nouveau architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh married Margaret Macdonald here in 1900.

West Dunbartonshire

St Patrick' Roman Catholic Church

Dumbarton. How to get there : Strathleven Place opposite Dumbarton Central Library (near the main roundabout). Parking is available nearby. A magnificent aisled 8 bay Gothic style building with a lower chancel and many beautiful and interesting features. Sanctuary 1935. Tower 1926-27 by architects Pugin & Pugin. The belfry has a large tenor bell and a carillon of 23 bells. There is an interesting practice carillon too - a keyboard which operates the bells. Excellent stained glass. A statue of St Michael by Eric Gill. White marble pieta in memorial chapel. Mass had been celebrated in the Dumbarton area from the 1800s. By 1830 there were 500 Catholics and seeing the need for a church, St Patrick opened its doors; being the first post-Reformation Catholic church in the area. The foundation stone of the new church was laid in 1901 with the formal opening on the 22 March 1903. The foundation stone of the tower was laid on 27June 1926 by the Archbishop Mackintosh. The new marble side altars, the pulpit the altar rails, the organ, the mortuary chapel, the tower and its carillon of 23 bells had all been completed by the end of 1927 and with the erection of the Pieta on the marble altar in the basement of the tower the two years' work was brought to a successful termination. More can be found here : http://www.stpatricksdumbarton.org.uk/history.htmlDunn and Hansom of Newcastle, architects. Built 1900-3.

West Dunbartonshire

Strathleven House

Strathleven House within the Vale of Leven Industrial Estate. How to get there : Stirling Road from Dumbarton or Balloch turning at the roundabout near Chivas Brothers into Levenside Road. G82 3PD Strathleven House is modern serviced office and business centre in a stunning historic Palladian mansion. The Strathleven estate, originally known as Kirkmichael, was owned in the 14th century by the Fleming family. It passed to the Semples of Fulwood in the 17th century. In 1677 it was bought by the royalist William Cochrane, 1st Earl of Dundonald (1605 - 1685). A tower house may have existed on the estate at this time, but in 1700 his grandson, William, built the present house which he named Levenside. His initials and coat of arms are inscribed on the stonework of the building. The architect is unrecorded. It has been suggested that William Adam, Sir William Bruce, or Alexander McGill may have been responsible. However, on stylistic grounds James Smith is considered the most likely designer. He was the most significant Scottish architect of his time and the person generally credited with introducing Palladianism into Scotland. The design of here has been compared to his houses at Newhailes near Edinburgh and Raith House in Kirkcaldy. The dovecote which stands nearby is considered to be contemporary with the house. [Wiki].It is A-Listed and considered to be the earliest surviving example of the classic Palladian country house in Scotland. There is reputed to be a lost tunnel below it and linking with the River Leven. But that is not the only surprise. You may just find historical characters around. Or crafts. And there will be someone on hand to tell you the history of the building.

Search Filters

Area Coordinator