14 September 2019 (1.30pm - 4.30pm)
15 September 2019 (1.30pm - 4.30pm)
This is an opportunity to visit the Canal Museum, tearoom, yard and wharf, also the workshop of the Linlithgow Union Canal Society and the Mel Gray Education Centre.
A visit to Linlithgow Canal Centre (Category C Listed) recalls the heyday of the Union waterway (Edinburgh-Falkirk), when it was not yet challenged by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway (1842). The Canal Centre is a simple vernacular building, originally two stables at the east end and two cottages at the west end, and is an important surviving part of the infrastructure of Scotland's last major canal.
Architect: Probably Hugh Baird, Canal Engineer
Building Date: 1820s
The Canal Centre will be running its usual boat trips along the canal in the afternoon from 1.30pm together with self-drive dinghy hire. Neither the boat trips nor the dinghy hire are part of Doors Open Days - there is a charge, with tickets purchased from the Canal Museum.