Search
Search
Back to List

Chapel of St Mahew - Kilmahew

Door open days

West Dunbartonshire

Dating back to 6C, this early Christian site has part of a pre-Christian standing stone in the porch of the church. The present church was built on the site in 1467 and in 17C served as a Protestant chapel of ease. In 1948, the land of which it is part - Kirkton of Kilmahew - became the property of the Archdiocese of Glasgow. Restoration of the church by Ian Lindsay & Partners took place between 1953-5 at which time a small vestry was added on the north side. The nave was extended at the west end and a small belfry was added to the gable. Guide available.

Key Information

Building Date: 1467, 17C, restored 1953-55

Where to find us

Address
  • Darleith Road
  • Cardross
  • G82 5NY