29 September 2018 (12:00-16:00)
St Bride's is one of the UK's finest and most significant post-war ecclesiastical buildings. An award-winning and 'A-listed' church, it is visited by admirers from across the world, but is still at its heart a place of worship and a focal point for the parish community.
Created between 1957-63, St Bride's was seen as a statement of confidence –from the perspective of the growing New Town and from the Catholic Church. It is one of a series of ‘Scottish Brutalist' churches by Andy MacMillan and Isi Metzstein of Gillespie, Kidd & Coia and is renowned for the interplay of light within the expanse of the nave and for the detailing of the massive load-bearing brick walls. When built, one of the strongest elements was the free-standing campanile. A combination of the harsh local climate and poor quality materials led to the removal of the damaged campanile in 1986/7. A recent programme of works addressed some areas of wear and tear on the fabric of the building. Between Jan-Sep 2016, it was closed to allow the roof lights and roof covering to be replaced, the re-cladding of the copper light cannons and the repair and replacement of areas of badly damaged external brickwork. Further works are planned over the course of the next few years.
Architect: Gillespie, Kidd & Coia
Building Date: 1963-64
Guided tours and an exhibition.
Guided Tours at 1pm and 2:30pm. Limited to 20 people – first come, first served. Visitors welcome at other times. Areas only accessible with a guide however.