29 September 2018 (Guided tours at 12:00 & 14:00)
Greyfriars became the burgh's burial ground in 1580 because St John's kirkyard was full. It had previously been the site of the Franciscan Friary, founded by 1496 and dissolved in 1559. There is a fine group of 18th century stones, with traditional winged souls, hourglasses and skulls and crossbones. Join archaeologist David Bowler for a tour and try to understand how the stones and their symbols show changing tastes and hopes as well as recording life and death.
Guided tours at 12:00 & 14:00 starting from St John's Episcopal Church, Princes Street