21 September 2019 (10.00-17.00)
22 September 2019 (10.00-17-00)
With the support of the Magistrates and Town Council, the current premises at 52 Alfred Street were built in 1858. The Museum was officially re-opened on 29th December 1862, initially occupying the first floor only, with the Town Hall below. In the 1920s the Town Hall was relocated, and offered an opportunity for expansion. The Society bought the Old Town Hall at public auction and were soon able to occupy the ground floor as well as the first, with the new gallery officially opened in February 1931 by the Lord Lieutenant of Orkney. The Museum expanded further in the 1990s, with the addition of the Pilot’s House (No.56 Alfred Street) to the rear of the main building. This was refurbished to house new displays, with new cases and displays in the first floor following soon after, but the Museum has retained its original Victorian character. We have collections on archaeology, ethnography, maritime, social and natural history.
There is public parking at the Pierhead, about ten minutes walk away.
There is limited disabled visitor access due to the age of the building. The entrance and ground floor are level, there is a slight incline to the upper gallery of the ground floor. A stair lift to our Natural History collection is available, but there is no such access to our other galleries. To access the Captain's Parlour and the Summer exhibition, speak with the custodian on duty who can arrange your access from the pier. There is a disabled-access toilet at street level. Wheelchair access, hand rails and baby changing facilities are all available.