21 September 2019 (11 am to 3 pm)
Colzium House was built in 1783, it was substantially enlarged in 1861, but much of the original building was pulled down in the late 1940s, due to dry rot, but the Victorian frontage and wings survive to form the house we see today. The museum comprises a single room on the second floor of the house, converted out of the former chapel.
The Colzium Lennox Estate is rich in history and includes the excavated remains of a 15th Century L-plan tower house demolished in 1703. Nearby is a traditional Scottish ice-house c.1680 which has been restored and is open for public inspection. Also on the estate is a fine walled garden with numerous interesting shrubs and trees.
Following the renovations in 2017, the former Clock Theatre adjoining the walled garden has been converted into a visitor centre and garden cafe, also featuring audio visual displays about Colzium’s colourful history.
Building Date: 1783, 1861 additions.
Guided tours provided by Friends of Colzium of the house, museum and walled gardens, with family games and activities.
There will also be a display of former Kilsyth Horticultural Society Trophies, as well as Banton Flower Show, and a Plant sale