Birnie church dates back to beginning of 12th century and is one of the oldest churches in Scotland used for regular Sunday worship. Although believed to have been built around 1140 recent archaeological evidence suggests it was even earlier. The church became the first cathedral of the Bishop of Moray and remained the cathedral church until 1184. It is a plain building with a Norman Arch between the chancel and the nave. In 1734 the west gable was rebuilt and larger windows were added (south side). In 1890 further repairs were made. It was listed in 1971 as a category A building.
The church is open to the public at all times throughout the year. Regular Sunday Services at 11am alternate with Pluscarden Church.
Volunteers will be on hand from 11am – 4pm on Saturday 23rd
Building Date: 1140 - possibly earlier