14 September 2019 (1000 to 1600 hrs)
15 September 2019 (1000 to 1600 hrs)
Old Penicuik House is the finest and most influential example of Palladian architecture in Scotland. It was gutted by fire in 1899 and has stood as a ruin for over 100 years. It sits at the centre of an important 18 C designed landscape which together form an exceptional physical record of the artistic patronage of the Clerk Family. The house was gutted by fire in 1899 and has stood as a ruin for over 100 years.
Old Penicuik House and its immediate surroundings are now in the ownership of the Penicuik House Preservation Trust and the 6 year project to consolidate this magnificent ruin and improve access to the surrounding estate is now complete. The second phase has now commenced and involves the conservation and repair of the many eye-catching’ built features in the designed landscape, including the Roman Bridge and Knightslaw Tower.
Saturday and Sunday:
Old Penicuik House and High Pond will be open to visitors.
Guided walking tour at 1400 hrs.
Activity for children throughout the day.
Please note that the converted stable block is not included in the tour.
Parking is available a short walk from Penicuik House at the car park visible from the A766. Vehicular access to site is available for blue badge holders only. This can be arranged by contacting the Ranger Service on 01968 670738.