Cromarty Lighthouse was built by Alan Stevenson, uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson, and operated by the Northern Lighthouse Board from 1842 until it was de-commissioned in 2005. Overlooking John Smeaton's 18th century harbour, the Lighthouse Tower, Keeper's Cottage and Old Buoy Store are now used for marine research and teaching by the University of Aberdeen.
Visitors will be able to tour the Lighthouse Tower, meet staff and students and see displays on local marine wildlife.
This years Doors Open event forms part of a celebration of the work of Hugh Miller and George Romanes, two influential 19th Century scientists who lived on the Cromarty Firth. Exhibitions on their work and legacy can also be viewed in Cromarty at the Courthouse Museum and the National Trust for Scotland Hugh Miller Birthplace Cottage and Museum.
Architect: Alan Stevenson
Building Date: 1842
Visitors will be able to tour the building and meet staff and students to here more about their research on seals, dolphins and seabirds.
Displays and children's activities will be available in the Lighthouse Tower and grounds
tel 01381 600548