1 September 2018 (10 am to 4 pm)
The Free North Church, which was designed by Alexander Ross, and opened on 7th June 1893, is Gothic style with the tallest spire in Inverness at 170 feet.
Whilst it is typical of the Presbyterian plain style, it surpasses most others in size and in the boldness and elegance of its detail. North Church congregation split from East Church (Church of Scotland) and joined the Free Church of Scotland at the 1843 Disruption.
The interior, which can seat 1300, has been restored with stencil work on the barrel ceiling. The box below the pulpit was for the Precentor who led the singing. Now either a precentor or a keyboard player lead the praise.
Tel 01463 231981
Architect: Alexander Ross of Ross & McBeth
Building Date: 1889-92