21 September 2019 (11am to 4pm)
22 September 2019 (11am to 4pm)
Not normally open to the public, the John O Groats Mill is almost certainly the last water powered grain mill to be built in Scotland. Passed down through many generations of the Houston family, it was still in use fifty years after all other Caithness Mills. It finally stopped milling in 2001 on the sudden death of the last miller.
Still completely intact it’s a time capsule, exactly as it was over a hundred years ago.
On the buildings at risk register, the John O Groats Mill Trust aim to secure the Mill’s future and restore it to its former prominence in the community. The proprietor has kindly agreed to the Trust opening the Mill for the weekend. This may well be the last opportunity to see the Mill prior to any restoration work.
Building Date: 1750 rebuilt 1901
Access is unfortunately not disability friendly. Please note that access to upper floor is by fairly steep stair. The drying floor will be visible but closed off.
Visitors will be able to study the machinery. There will be photographs and a small display of milling related archive material.
Building Open with optional guided tour. Ground floor open to free access. Numbers to upper floors will be limited and will be with guide every twenty minutes.