14 September 2019 (10am - 4.30pm)
15 September 2019 (1.30pm - 3.30pm)
This tall red sandstone building with its 130ft tall spire dominates Newmarket Street. The use of red-snecked rubble makes it stand out from the neighbouring buildings. Above the entrance is a fine Burning Bush sculpture. The foundation stone for Falkirk Free Church was laid on 15th September 1894, and in January 1896 it opened at a total cost of £8,100. It was designed by James Strang in the mid-pointed Gothic style.
The inside was refurbished last year and is now bright and clean. Colourful stained glass in a variety of styles fills the ground floor windows. It includes the figure of St Modan – the patron saint of the town – and the town’s coat of arms and motto, ”BETTER MEDDLE WI THE DEIL THAN THE BAIRNS O FALKIRK”. These are also to be found on the Burgh Buildings. On the window the lion has changed colour to yellow!
The congregation’s war memorial is on the organ casing, and the roll of honour is in the main stair.
Architect: James Strang
Building Date: 1894
Open courtesy of St Andrew’s West Church.
Wheelchair access to nave and aisle. Parking in town centre.