Search
Search
Back to List

Larbert Old Parish Church

Door open days

Falkirk

Larbert Old parish Church looking east fromt he churchyard

The church at Larbert is destined for closure and so this may well be your last chance to see the building in all its glory.

In the 17th century Larbert Church was caught up in national politics. King James VI exiled Reverend Robert Bruce of Kinnaird to his home parish. Bruce naturally started to preach from the pulpit of the old semi-deserted church, fulfilling the roll of minister for the parish. It is said that he attracted large audiences of thousands of attendees from all over central Scotland. Around 1624 he paid to have the decaying church building demolished and a new one constructed in its place. Part of it still remains. 

The present church opened in 1821at a cost of £4,400. Its architect, David Hamilton, also designed Falkirk Steeple. The style is Gothic with prominent crocketed finials on the corner buttresses and the west tower. The tower contains the main entrance and the stained glass is particularly attractive with windows by Alf Webster of Glasgow, Dickson & Walker of Edinburgh and Stephen Adam of Glasgow. 

On the left of the approach to the church is a pink granite marble fountain with a shallow bowl on a turned circular plinth, presented in 1923. On the right is the 1905 hall, designed by P. MacGregor Chalmers.

Facilities

Key Information

Architect: David Hamilton

Building Date: 1820

Where to find us

Address
  • Denny Road
  • Larbert Cross
  • Falkirk
  • FK5 3AB