29 September 2018 (14:00-16:00)
The school is the oldest working Primary school in Edinburgh. The original building dating from 1845 (architect James Lessels) later extended in 1874 and 1875 has its exterior intact. Its original timber sash and case windows, a relatively unchanged interior retaining timber boarded dado panelling, iron radiators, stone stairs, cast-iron banisters and double-height hall make the school an impressive and virtually complete example of its type.
It also contains the recently refreshed ‘Wee Museum’ a permanent display of Newhaven artefacts.
Year Of Young People: School pupils leading some of the tours of the school, and answering questions about its history. A leaflet about the history of the school created by pupils.
Architect: James Lessels
Building Date: 1845
Limited wheelchair access
Activities: Talks at 12.30, 1.30 and 2.30. Tours of the building and walking tours of Newhaven at around 12 noon, and subsequently on a regular basis. Historic films of local events including the 1952 pageant.