29 September 2018 (11.00-17.00)
30 September 2018 (12.00-17.00)
Old College sits at the heart of the University of Edinburgh. Work on Robert Adam’s original design began in 1789 and was completed by William Henry Playfair who created the magnificent Playfair Library. The dome, added in 1887, bears a 6ft foot high gilded bronze statue of a youth bearing ‘the torch of knowledge’ and is affectionately nicknamed the ‘Golden Boy.’ Meeting rooms and the main staircase contain fine paintings, including a dozen by Raeburn.
Architect: Robert Adam, Wm Playfair, Robert Rowand Anderson
Building Date: 1789-1877