The Old College, by David Rhind, opened in 1855 as Daniel Stewart’s Hospital for 50 destitute boys. In 1870 the Edinburgh Merchant Company turned the Hospital into a fee-paying day school and changed the name to Daniel Stewart’s College. The old courtyard at the north side of the building was eventually roofed over and this reopened in 2007 following a multi-million pound rebuild to create a Performing Arts Centre.
Architect: David Rhind
Building Date: 1855