The gothic façade of St Mary’s Metropolitan Cathedral is all
that remains of the much smaller St Mary’s Chapel designed by Gillespie Graham, 1814. After fire damage a rebuilding programme was undertaken by John Biggar in 1891. Recent additions include the organ by Matthew Copley in 2007 with its beautiful copper-flamed 32ft pipes, the largest organ to have been installed in Scotland in recent years, and the Parish Centre by LDN Architects in 2008 in the courtyard. For the bicentenary this year the church lighting system has been completely redesigned.