Back to List

St Andrew's and St George's West Church

Door open days

23 September 2017 (10:00-15:00)

24 September 2017 (12:00-15:00)


Built in 1784 as the first church of the New Town, St Andrew’s Church (now St Andrew’s and St George’s West Church) was designed by Major Andrew Frazer. The unusual elliptical plan, the first in Britain, was in response to the restricted site after Sir Laurence Dundas built his house on the intended site in St Andrew’s Square on the George Street axis. There is a fine Georgian interior, especially the Adam-style ceiling, notable glass (Alf Webster and Douglas Strachan), Wells Kennedy organ (1984), and original peel of bells (restored 2006). There are also interpretation panels.  


Key Information

Architect: Major Andrew Frazer

Building Date: 1784

Limited wheelchair access

Where to find us

  • 13 George Street
  • Edinburgh
  • EH2 2PA