Calton Old Burial Ground is one of the ‘famous five’ historic graveyards in the heart of Edinburgh World Heritage Site and was opened in 1718 by the Trades of Calton. The site is situated on a spectacular slope, enjoying superb views of the city. Calton Old contains many magnificent monuments dating from 18t and 19th centuries commemorating eminent figures from the history of Edinburgh and Scotland. Highlights include: the mausoleum to David Hume; the Scottish-American Soldiers Monument, erected in 1893 to the Scottish Soldiers who died in the American Civil War and the only such memorial outside the US; and the imposing obelisk of the Martyr’s Monument put up in 1844 to commemorate the political martyrs who were deported to Botany Bay in 1793.
Five historic graveyards in the heart of the Edinburgh World Heritage Site were included in the World Monuments Fund 2010 Watch List. Old and New Calton, Greyfriars, Canongate and St Cuthbert’s graveyards are recognised as exceptional burial sites. It is intended that a graveyards trust be established. Find out more about the project and how you could get involved.