The tower house built in the 1590s for Sir Archibald Napier, whose son John is best known for his exploration of logarithms. The house was extended in 1824 by architect William Burn. Opulent Edwardian interiors by William R Reid, who bought the house in 1902. They remain exactly as they were at the death of the last private owner in 1926. Notable collections of Italian furniture, Blue John, Crossley wool mosaics and mezzotints. N.B. stairs to all principal rooms. The castle stands in 30 acres of parkland and formal gardens, which include an Italianate rose garden and the 'Edinburgh Kyoto friendship garden', a new Japanese garden completed in 2002.