Established in 1822, Edinburgh Chess Club is the oldest chess club in the UK. In the first hundred years of the club’s existence it had many homes around the city, notably on Princes Street, George Street and Queen Street. However, in the years leading to the centenary a permanent venue was sought. Thanks to legacy and donations left to the club, the current building on Alva Street was purchased in 1922. Chess is officially a sport, recognised as such by the International Olympic Committee. Visitors to the club will be given the chance to join in a few friendly games of chess.