23 September 2017 (11.00 - 16.00)
24 September 2017 (11.00 - 16.00)
Next to John Knox House is Moubray House. Although the frontage dates from c.1630, the house was originally built around 1477, by Robert Moubray. Andrew Moubray built a new house at the rear in 1529. It was restored by the Cockburn Society in 1910.Here Daniel Defoe edited the Edinburgh Courant (1710) and the shop was the premises of publisher Archibald Constable (1774-1827). Outside on the street is one of the wells which used to provide the water supply for the Old Town.
The office of the Cockburn Association is located in the old cellars of Moubray House and accessed from the garden at the back of the building. Limited wheelchair access to the garden only, down a steep close.
Come and find out about the Cockburn Association's work for the past 141 years in the conservation and enhancement of Edinburgh’s landscape and historic and architectural heritage.
Special feature: plaster demonstrations by S.P.A.B. on Saturday afternoon (12.00) with children’s activities.
Architect: Ben Tindall
Building Date: 1990
Limited disabled access.
ACTIVITIES: plaster demonstrations by S.P.A.B. on Saturday afternoon (12.00) with children’s activities.