The main part of the building known today as the City Chambers was built in 1753 by John Adam and was called The Royal Exchange. In 1811 it was taken over by the Council as they had outgrown their previous accommodation at the Tolbooth. From 1811-1903 the Council met in what today is known as The Diamond Jubilee Room. In 1904 the building was extended
to form larger accommodation for the Council which included the
Council Chamber, European Room and Members Lounge.