Completed in July 1884 and built of free stone in early English style by architect Mr James Fairley of Edinburgh. The church has a hammerbeam roof and in the south gable there is a stained glass window which was gifted by a Mrs Braidwood in memory of her husband who was very interested in the building. There is recent stained glass work by local artist Liz Cull. Works by Tod & Taylor Architects on St Joseph’s Centre were completed in March 2012. These developments have allowed the Church to produce facilities in the heart of Balerno which are adaptable, comfortable and attractive, to meet the needs of the wider community.