9 September 2019 (3.30 - 5.30pm (prior booking only)
The former estate of the Stirling family crossed by the Antonine wall with landscaped grounds, doocot, ice house, listed trees. House originally 17th Century but the West wing was remodelled c1820 by David Hamilton. Contains Roman legionary slab. Now the club house of Cawder golf course.
The tour starts at the canal bridge opposite site of Cadder Roman fort. After a brief history of Cadder church with its mortsafe, we pass the old Kirktoun of Cadder and the probable site of a motte and Bailey built by the first Stirling in the 12 Century. We cross the Antonine Roman wall and join the main avenue of the estate noting the landscaped grounds with artificial water features, bridge and 200-year old trees. Past the old stables for the house, the mid 18c doocot is on the left; a path leads up to the rampart of the Roman wall. From there the house can be seen.
At the 18th hole immediately in front is the site of a mediaeval hall house discovered during the landscaping. Approximately 200 yards behind the house is a 19th Century ice house. From the front door of the house we see the fine plasterwork and cast iron of the hall and stair. To the left is a corridor to the room containing a Roman legionary slab. Upstairs are the rooms refurbished in classical style. Returning along the avenue we see the lade of the mediaeval mill and the former mill house and inn beside the canal.
Architect: David Hamilton
Building Date: 1624 - 1815