Search
Search
Back to List

Dumfries Historic Buildings Trust

New
Door open days

7 September 2019 (10am till 5pm)

8 September 2019 (10am till 5pm)

Dumfries and Galloway

18thC and earlier buildings on this site were extended and converted to a warehouse around 1860, and the building has variously been used as a pianoforte warehouse and sheet music shop, and for the curing of hams. The Victorian signage relating to this enterprise was discovered under layers of paint on the first floor lintels in 2013, and has been conserved and retained, reading 'ham-curing cheese & provision warehouse'. By the 1880s the building was in use as a bakehouse by Thomson Brothers, bakers, of Glasgow. In 1963, William C Gill & Sons, wholesale stationers and paper merchants, moved here from premises in Old Union Street. They traded from their shop on Queen Street until 2008, by which time the building had become very dilapidated, with large holes in the roof. 

 

The building has been converted and revived with upper floors as private apartments and the ground floor housing the Yellow Door Gallery, and the base for the Dumfries Historic Buildings Trust, a charity who aim to preserve buildings of architectural and historical interest in the town. 

 

Facilities

Various exhibitions including artwork reflecting Dumfries and Galloway, Dumfries’ carved stone heritage, the restoration of Rosefield Mills, and a craft activity for children, based on buildings in the town.

Key Information

Building Date: 1860

Various exhibitions including artwork reflecting Dumfries and Galloway, Dumfries’ carved stone heritage, the restoration of Rosefield Mills, and a craft activity for children, based on buildings in the town.

Where to find us

Address
  • Dumfries Historic Buildings Trust Hub
  • 22 Queen Street
  • Dumfries
  • DG1 2JF