23 September 2017 (2 pm to 4 pm)
This elaborate and unusual church was designed by William Stirling to replace its predecessor, built in 1773 on a site a little to the east. Much of the stone from the earlier structure was probably used to build the new church.
Built in neo-Perpendicular style, the church features buttresses to the sides of each bay which end in impressively tall, pointed finials. Stirling’s original design may have included a spire or tower, but it was never built.
The octagonal bellcote over the north entrance houses a bell cast in Rotterdam in 1670 by Cornelius Ouderogge; this was removed from the medieval church which stood further north on Kirk Hill, refitted in its 18th century successor, then moved again to its present location.
A horseshoe-shaped gallery was replaced in 1920 by a single gallery. The fine, three-light stained glass window of 1924 by Douglas Strachan was installed in memory of the Rev Joseph Conn.
The kirkyard, contains several interesting gravestones, many of which were restored as part of the Historic Kirkyards Trail project of the Ochils Landscape Partnership programme. They shed light on the inhabitants of Tillicoultry as it developed into an industrial town, with many textile mills.
Architect: William Stirling
Building Date: 1827-29
There will be an exhibition about the church and local history.