29 September 2018 (11 am to 1 pm, 2 pm to 4.30 pm)
30 September 2018 (2 pm to 4.30 pm)
This fine independent, community-run museum occupies part of a former early 19th century woollen mill and has permanent displays about the history of Dollar and its environs, including Granny’s Kitchen, Castle Campbell, Dollar Academy and the Devon Valley Railway. On the first floor is a reading and research room.
Dollar Museum is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. It has created and shown about 150 temporary exhibitions since it opened in 1988 and the new exhibitions for 2018 are as follows:
The Dollar Community and the Great War
This exhibition marks the end of the First World War and reflects on the stories of local men and women who served in the forces, as well as examining what life was like for those who stayed at home in Dollar, supporting the war effort. There are original examples of 'comforts' knitted for the troops and modern replicas for handling, as well as a wide range of objects loaned by individuals and the Museums of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and the Black Watch.
The Bicentenary of Dollar Academy
Dollar Academy was founded in 1818, using a bequest from John McNabb, a local boy who made a fortune at sea and left half of it to Dollar Kirk Session 'for a charity or school'. The driving forces behind the creation of the school were the Rev Andrew Mylne, its first Rector; Craufurd Tait of Harviestoun; and its architect, William Playfair, who designed a remarkable building which provided both day and boarding, free or very cheap education for all local children of both sexes, long before school attendance was universal.
Building Date: Mid-19th century