28 September 2019 (11 am to 3 pm)
29 September 2019 (12.30 pm to 3 pm)
Designed by James Gillespie Graham to replace the old parish church in Kirkgate, this Late Georgian building is a large, ornate, battlemented rectangle with a five-bay north elevation. It has an impressive 207ft high spire, its corners clasped by flying buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. External additions were made in 1966-7 by Leslie Grahame Thomson.
The interior was also much altered by the same architect, who removed the galleries and added the panelled wood ceiling in 1936-7, as well as designing the pulpit, lectern, font and oak pews. In 1966-7 he created a new west chancel.
The interesting stained glass is of late 19th and 20th century date, and includes work by William Meikle & Sons (1901), A L Moore & Co. (1901), William Wilson (1951-2) and John Blyth (1991).
The Congregation has recently completed a two-year conservation, restoration and facilities enhancement programme on both the internal and external fabric of the building, which celebrated its 200th anniversary in June 2019. Visitors will have an opportunity to see this work, as well as a fine new commemorative stained glass window and time capsule commissioned to mark the bicentenary.
Architect: James Gillespie Graham
Building Date: 1816-19, 1930s, 1960s
Guided tours and historical booklet