Search
Search
Back to List

The Argyll Papers

Door open days

22 September 2018 (13.00 - 17.00)

23 September 2018 (13.00 - 17.00)

Argyll & Bute

The Cherry Park farm offices at Inveraray Castle were designed by John Adam for the 3rd Duke of Argyll. When the 5th Duke succeeded in 1771, the offices remained incomplete and the Duke invited William Mylne to submit plans for its completion. Mylne created a court of offices with a hint of an Italian Palladian villa. Set around a cobbled square, the corner pavilions were connected along the north and south sides by heavy stone arches (since filled in), and in front by a range of rooms with a centrally pedimented carriage entrance. The pavilions have high Venetian windows on the external sides, each with a six-paned window above and sloping roofs rising to a central chimney. Plans to enlarge the offices were drawn up by Joseph Bonomi in 1807 but were largely unimplemented. The poultry house on the north side of the square, was converted to house the Argyll Papers, the archives of the Campbell family, dukes of Argyll, in 2007. The flower room in the North West tower was converted for a research room in 2017.

Facilities

Key Information

Architect: John Adam and William Mylne

Building Date: c.1760 - 1773

Booking for tours is essential. Max 8 people per tour.

 

Contact Alison Diamond at archives@inveraray-castle.com or telephone Argyll Estates Office (01499 302 698-state you are making a DOD booking). 

 

 

In the Archives Office, there will be a display of archive material illustrating the breadth and depth of the Argyll Papers and including documents relating to the archaeological discoveries made by the dukes of Argyll.

 

In the Research Room there will be copies of documents available to test your palaeographic skills, and we will be asking visitors to help identify the people and places in a display of local historical photographs.

 There are 2 tours but visitors can also drop-in. Otherwise the maximum number for the tours is 8.

Tour 1: A tour of the old town of Inveraray, razed to the ground when the new Castle was built in the 18th century and now re-created verbally from the findings of recent research in the archives. These tours will be led by our volunteer researchers.

 

Tour 2: The archivist will take visitors ‘behind the scenes’ at the archives to show the boxes of delights held in the stores and to talk about their preservation and use.

 

 

Where to find us

Address
  • The Argyll Papers, Cherry Park
  • Inveraray
  • PA33 8XE